Moving to a new location often means new horizons. New job, new school, new family – whatever the occasion may be, moving can lead to new opportunity. However, the actual move itself of packing and transporting your items across town or between states can be both physically and emotionally draining. But a well-planned out and organized move can take some of that stress away and let you focus on the positive aspects of your move. Here are a few Do’s and Don’ts to consider for your next move whether it be a local move from Brooklyn to the Bronx or from Manhattan to Queens, or perhaps long-distance move across the states.
- Consider your situation carefully when it comes to taking on the move yourself vs. hiring a professional long-distrance moving company. Do you have proper transportation, friends and family to help, and most importantly, endless hours of time? If not, then you’re likely better off hiring professional movers for the job so that you can focus on other aspects of your move.
- When hiring a local NYC Mover or long-distance moving company, do your homework and hire a professional moving company that is licensed and insured. Read more in our article “Hiring a Moving Company”.
- Purge! Now is the perfect time to get rid of unwanted and unnecessary items that you’ve been holding on to. Some say that if you haven’t worn an outfit in one year, then it’s time to pitch it. Budget time for at least one day per room.
- Make sure that your boxes are properly labeled or color coded to each room of your new home or apartment. This will help your NYC movers locate your belongings to the proper area and also help you unpack and find items in the meantime.
- Make sure that you have appropriate supplies to get started with your move: moving boxes, lots of tape, good scissors, box cutters, new markers, bubble wrap, etc.
- Remember to disconnect your old utilities and call ahead to turn them on at your new place.
- Don’t settle for any ole mover when hiring a New York local or long-distance moving company. Your belongings are personal and valuable – don’t trust them with just anyone off the street who claims to be a mover.
- Don’t overpack boxes with heavy items. Either restrict how much you pack in a box or mix up your belongings to balance the weight.
- Don’t aimlessly pack valuable items such as jewelry that will be left in a box in reach of others during the moving transition.
- Don’t just hire the cheapest mover. Consider the full package – license and insurance, credibility, reviews, trustworthiness, etc.
- Don’t pack flammable items in the moving truck and make sure that any power equipment is drained of gasoline prior to transport.
- Don’t be unrealistic about your move. Some people tend to feel like they can do everything themselves. But moving is a big deal so you should get all the help that you can whether it’s packing, cleaning, babysitting or simply hiring movers to do the heavy lifting.
Whether you’re looking for a New York flat-rate long distance mover or a local NYC moving company, you can count on Moving Masters to meet your every need, and exceed your expectations! Doesn’t matter if you are moving locally or across the state or country – you will be in good hands. Moving Masters will move all your personal property and belongings to your complete satisfaction.